Friday, February 10, 2012

Floral Pop-Up Card

How fun is this card? And you don't even need 3-d glasses!  About a year ago I saw a really cool pop-up card in a store and it's taken me this long to implement the idea.
 I punched a variety of flowers from the Sale-A-Bration paper pack called Everyday Enchantment and used them for both the front and inside.

 This is the card open with kind of a top-down view.  The sentiment inside is from the Sprinkled Expressions stamp set, which you can get free during SAB.  "You make my whole face smile" seemed very appropriate for this happy card.

 This is a little different angle of the inside.


You can kind of see how the flowers are attached so they pop out.  For this card I used four strips of Very Vanilla of different lengths. Specifically,

Strip 1:
4 1/2" x 1/2" -- scored at 1/2", 2", 2 1/2" and 4

Strips 2 & 3
3 1/2'" x 1/2" -- scored at 1/2", 1 1/2", 2" and 3"

Strip 4
2 1/2" x 1/2" -- scored at 1/2", 1", 1 1/2" and 2"

Each one is folded into a rectangle with one short side attached to the card and the other to the punched out image. 

TIPS:
  • Make sure to position the pop-ups so that they don't stick out of the card when it's folded shut.
  • Make sure to leave enough space between the pop-ups so they don't rub against the strips supporting another image (like my top flower gets stuck on the one below it ...oops).
  • Even though the rectangles should have two equal sides, I found that they often folded flat better one way than the other.  That might not make sense, but it will if you try it.  Or, maybe I'm just not precise enough and no one else will  have that problem. 
  • Glue dots work great for attaching the pieces together.

These are pretty easy to make, so you may see more of these on my blog.  I have a couple of technical revisions to try, so I'll share those if they work better.

Cheers,
Sharon

1 comment:

Ariel said...

Sharon, these cards are so cool! Thank you for sharing how you did them. beautiful projects, too. I can't wait to try one myself.