Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mica Flakes Faux Mother of Pearl

The mica flakes in the Holiday Mini catalog are so much fun.  I saw Sharon Field's great idea for using them to create a faux mother of pearl look and had to try it.
Sharon has directions on her blog, so I won't repeat them here.  The one thing I changed was to sponge my ornament with Not Quite Navy ink instead of Soft Suede. 


I have to admit that this technique makes a mess.   I had escaped mica flakes everywhere, including in the cat's fur.  Since Stampin' Up! doesn't sell the silver cord any more and I didn't have any other ribbon that would work, I cut a sliver of Silver shimmer paper and made my own ornament hanger.  It worked great.

I really like the clean look of this card.  The layers of different textured Whisper White cardstock adds to the elegance of it.

1 comment:

JulieA said...

Sure love those! The colors on the mica flakes is gorgeous.