Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Science meets stamping

This is another card using the watercoloring with re-inkers technique that I showed in the previous post.  The cool thing is that this time the colors in the re-inker separated.
I used Daffodil Delight for the center of the flowers and Concord Crush for the rest of the petals.  I love how the Concord separated into blue, pink and purple.  For anyone who cares, that's called chromatography.

I found that Tangerine Tango separates a little bit too, but so far none of the others have. This summer, you and your kids can do experiments with the various re-inkers and see which ones separate.  That way you get to stamp and your kids get to learn something. Win-win!

The flowers are done on Shimmery White cardstock.  If you look at the close-up, you can kind of see the sparkle. 

I'd been wanting to make this style of card for a while.  Every one that I'd seen used a 12x4 piece, so I adapted it to fit on an 11 x 4.25" piece.  The stamp set is Fabulous Florets again, with the sentiment from Curly Cute. The dsp is from the hostess pack.

EDIT:
I don't have a tutorial on this technique but the amazing Gretchen Barron does.  Check out her blog at http://gretchenbarron.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/more-fabulous-flowers-with-fabulous-florets.html

I'll make a sketch of the cutting and folding for the card base and post that later today or tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sharon

8 comments:

faithfulecreations said...

This is beautiful. I'm not into stamping or coloring much yet as I'm not patient enough but I love what you've done. Would you mind sharing with me the video or tutorial you made your card base from? I just LOVE it!

Janet said...

LOVE the Card....especially the fold/pop up.....what do you call that type of card?

Anonymous said...

Your card is stunning! Love, love, love it! So, do you apply the ink directly to the cardstock? Is it because you used the Shimmering White that the ink separated? TFS.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Would love for you to share how you did this. I would love to do this for a club project next month. My class would love it.

TIA,

Vicki

Anonymous said...

I took a 2nd look at your card on SCS, and noticed your link to Gretchen Barron's blog where she give instructions for using the re-inkers to get this effect.
Thanks,
Marie

Tiffany Bauer said...

This card is so beautiful!! Love it and will be featuring it on My Crafty Picks #16 with a link back to your blog on 5-15-11. If you wish to decline please email me at trbauer@insightbb.com

Take care
www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

Kathy W said...

very pretty looks just like a pansy

Kim said...

This is definitely a "WOW" card.

Thanks for sharing,
Kim