Here's a pop quiz about Megan.
1. How old was she when she started swimming?
2. How old was she when she went to her first Olympics?
3. What high school did she go to?
c. Emerald Ridge
1.Answer: 9. When she started on a swim team at age 9, she could barely dog paddle.
2. Answer: 16 -- she went to the Sydney Olympics in 2000
3. Answer: Unfortunately she went to Emerald Ridge rather than Rogers (my alma mater). All of these high schools are in Puyallup, WA.
Megan is an amazing role model because she is super positive, very down to earth, and I'd be shocked if she ever lost corporate sponsorship due to her non-swimming activities (was that diplomatic enough?). My kids have been to several of her swim camps and she was very inspirational. Her husband, Nathan, also gave talks on nutrition, which got my younger son to insist that we eat brown rice, whole grains, organic, etc.
She's also got a book out called Get Wet, Get Fit, which she co-authored with Nathan. If you are a swimmer or a swim parent, this book contains lots of valuable information about stroke technique, dryland exercises, and nutrition, which was the most helpful section for me.
Alright, enough rambling for today. Have a fantastic weekend!