Sunday, January 25, 2009

Musings of an Insomniac: Perfectionism and Papercrafting

Whether it was the coffee, the wine or something else, I don't know, but I was awake for hours a couple nights ago and my mind was whirring. In addition to worrying about one son's penmanship (it might be dysgraphia) or the other son's lying about whether he'd showered or not, I was thinking about my decluttering efforts. I've been following The Flylady's advice on decluttering and bringing organization and peace into your home (the link is at the bottom of this post).


One of her mantras is that even housework done imperfectly still blesses your family. What this means is that it's better to do a little housework than none at all. Many of us put off doing housework because we don't have time to "do it right." So, we don't dust because we don't have the time or energy to dust all those knick-knacks. Or we don't vaccuum because we don't have the time or energy to get the cat hair off the couch. But, according to the Flylady, it's better to do an imperfect job than not at all.

So, you ask, what the heck does this have to do with stamping? A lot, actually. In similar ways, we tend to be perfectionists. How many times do you not send a card to someone because you don't have time to make the perfect card for them? Or, what about scrapbooking? Do you not do it because you don't have time to do it right? I know I sure do both of these things. Subsequently, I rarely send cards, in spite of having hundreds on hand, and I've barely scrapbooked my kids' lives. So, the "aha" for me was that it's better to send an imperfect card, or do a moderately acceptable scrapbook page, rather than nothing at all. Sending a card to someone lets them know we're thinking of them and that they're special to us. Communicating that through a card is what's important, not whether we have all the right embellishments on the card. Same thing with scrapbooking. It's the memories that the scrapbook inspires, not how cool the page looks.

My personal challenge, and my challenge for you if you've actually read this far, is to allow for imperfection and bless those around me with my papercrafting. And, I might clean house a little too ;-)

Go check out the Flylady's website if you want to learn more about decluttering 27 items at a time, bringing calm and organization into your home in 15 minute increments, having a shiny sink, or just to get inspired.

Cheers,
--Sharon

2 comments:

Jana Emmert said...

I agree, Sharon, that we tend to be too critical of our own work.

Cindy Van Sluys said...

My husband tells me that our house does not have to be a "museum." Meaning everything does not have to be perfect to live in it. The same goes with cardmaking or scrapbooking (something I have yet to start because I am afraid that I will not do a good job - this is changing this year!). Thanks, Cindy