Thursday, January 29, 2009

Keepin' It Simple

You know how you don't always have time to make an elaborate card? Well, there are some tricks to making simple cards that look fantastic and I want to share a couple of them with you.

This first card uses textured Whisper White cardstock as the base. It's a 4x4 card. The trick to this one is using colors with a lot of contrast for the focal point. With that, you don't need a lot of layers or detail. I colored directly on the solid butterfly stamp with my Many Marvelous Markers, huffed on the stamp and stamped the image. Flight of the Butterfly is a 2-step stamping set, so the black dots and body add dimension to the image. Easy peasy!

This card was a bit more time consuming, but not much. The trick here was using a large stamp and adding some faux dimension and texture. Again, I colored directly on the stamp with my Many Marvelous Markers (say that 3 times fast!). I was playing around with highlighting, so on the petals I used Summer Sun and More Mustard, and on the stems and leaves used Mellow Moss and Always Artichoke. I added some "texture" by using my stipple brush with Baja ink around the image. Oh yeah, the stamp set is Inspired by Nature.

So, what do you think? Do these work for you? Do you have any other tricks for making simple fantastic cards?

Have a simply fantastic day!

3 comments:

Kathy W said...

great tips and cardS!

Beth Fox said...

Very nice! I have both of these sets, and find myself staring at them and wondering how to make them sizzle! Thanks.

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.