Monday, December 1, 2008

A Week of Gift Ideas -- Monday

Let's kick off our week of hand-stamped gift ideas with an easy idea that's sure to please lots of people on your gift list. I'm talking about home-made bath salts in an decorated container. It's easy to make, fun to decorate, and very affordable.

There are a lot of samples that use glass bottles, but frankly, I don't like the idea of combining wet hands, glass and bare feet in the bathroom. So, in the spirit of "reduce, reuse, recycle," I recycled a water bottle for my bath salts. The band around the bottle uses Ski Slope paper and Not Quite Navy cardstock. The adorable star dangling off the neck is from the Star Bright Designer Series Paper Ornaments Kit (say that three times fast) which makes more than 65 ornaments. Check it out on page 15 of the Mini Catalog.

My recipe was pretty simple: Epsom salts, a few drops of scented oil and soap coloring from the craft store. I ground it up in the blender because I find that the chunky Epsom salts don't dissolve all the way in my tub. For hundreds more bath time recipes, check out http://www.bathandbodyrecipes.com/ One recipe I saw on there was for Hair Glitter. Heck, just come hang out in my craft room for a few minutes and you'll get glitter on more than your hair!

And, what gift is complete without fantastic packaging? You can easily transform a plain gift bag into something that your recipient will love with a little designer paper and tag. The red tag on the left can be taken off and used as an ornament. I used my Big Shot and the large scallop die and cut out the white cardboard that comes with the designer paper as a base and then layered the cardstock on top of it. The snowflake is another of the BS dies that I blinged up with glitter and a red Rhinestone Brad.

If you have other home-made bath ideas that we can put in decorated containers, please tell me about it in the comments section. If you have samples on your website or blog, please let me know and I'll post the link in this post.

Thanks for stopping by. Please visit again tomorrow for Tuesday's gift idea.

---Sharon

4 comments:

Joanne Travis said...

Fabulous projects!! Love them.

JulieA said...

Sharon, that looks great! What a fun idea.

Laura Brown said...

Great idea! Beautiful packaging, too!

Jana Emmert said...

What a great gift! I love the idea of grinding the epsom salts in the blender.