Monday, April 28, 2008

Blending Pure Color Pencils

First of all, my apologies for not posting for a while. I've been working on my son's classsroom project for the school auction. Once I download the photos from the camera, I'll share them with you.

Anyway, it's been a while since I used my Pure Color Pencils and saw some samples recently that made me pull them back out. Did you know that you can blend them together, just like watercolors? It's so cool. Use a blending stump (got mine from Michael's); one of the following: mineral oil, gamsol, or odorless paint thinner; an outline image stamp; Whisper White cardstock and Staz On ink. Simply stamp the image and let it dry. Then color around the inside of the outline with your Pure Color Pencils. Then dip your blending stump into your blending medium (I used Mona Lisa brand odorless paint thinner from Michael's) and use circular motions to pull the color toward the center of your image. You can blend colors together too, although my stamped image didn't really need that.
The stamp set is Pun Fun. I also used the Summer Picnic paper from the Occasions Mini catalog, Whisper White, Real Red, Pumpkin Pie and Bashful Blue cardstock.

9 comments:

desirée said...

What a fun, bright card! I love the idea of using the Pure Colour Pencils with the blending stump and mineral spirits - nice job on the hippo! :)

Tiffany said...

I just love this card!!!! What fun colors!!

Hulda Pollock said...

What a cute card! Perfect for summer birthdays.
I think you can also use baby oil on those pencils, I haven't tried it though. I just got this stampset last week and have been coloring a little bit this weekend.
:)

Gina said...

Love this card! I just got this set in the mail may have to case! Love the coloring...mine never turns out like that!

Kim said...

I love this card - I just received this paper and Pun Fun yesterday so I can't wait to "case" your card.

laura Brown said...

What a great card! I love the colors, ds paper and the coloring you did on the adorable image!

Leah said...

Don't you just love new techniques?

Marilyn said...

I've never used a blending stump - you make it sound so easy and your colored image looks wonderful - I really need to try this technique I think!! Thanks for sharing!!

Beth said...

Glad you're back - those school projects can sure be, well, PROJECTS. ;-)
Hmmm...note to self: Buy Pure Color Pencils and accessories to try this technique! Lovely job coloring and an adorable card!