Friday, February 1, 2008

It's a Bling Thing

One of the January Stampin' Up! contests for demonstrators was to make projects using glitter. Well, I really had fun playing with glitter, especially the new colored glitter in the Spring/Summer Collection.

So, here are some of my submissions for the contest. There are SO MANY talented demonstrators, that I'm not holding my breaththat I'll win, but it did challenge me to think of creative ways to "glitterfy" some cards. Unfortunately, glitter just doesn't look as sparkly and beautiful in a scanned card as it does in real life. So, imagine all of these with lots more sparkle.

In this first one, I actually came up with an original idea (I think). I used the One of a Kind stamp set. Instead of inking the stamp with ink, I used my 2-way glue pen on the stamp, then stamped the image and dumped Rose glitter on it. Of course I cleaned my stamp right away after that on a baby wipe. The flower in the center is one of the ones from the Pretties kit. I colored it with marker, then applied the 2-way glue and Dazzling Diamonds glitter. The three rhinestone brads on the right add even more sparkle to this card.

In this second card, I stamped the focal point from Embrace Life with Black Craft ink and embossed it with Black embossing powder. Then I filled in the flowers with Tombow Multi-Adhesive, filling in the nooks and crannies very carefully with a toothpick. Then, using a clean toothpick, I applied glitter to the glue.

For the background, I stamped the leaves from Embrace Life in Whisper White Craft ink and let that dry. Then there's a layer of vellum on top of that. A little sponging in More Mustard and paper piercing in the corners of the focal point and I was done.

My friend, Julie, showed me some cards where she had a layer that contrasted beautifully with the rest of the card even though there was nothing else on the card in that color. Most of my cards are more monochromatic and so that really inspired me. So, I borrowed a page from her book when using the Old Olive layer.


I love the Asian look of this final card. And the black, red and gold is such a striking combination. My 8 year old said that this is the best card I ever made. Of course, he then


qualified his compliment by saying that he's no expert, so he really doesn't know what he's talking about. LOL He has a lot to learn about women still!

Anyhoo, for this card I used the Caught in a Crystal technique. It's a fun but very messy process. If you're going to make one card like this, you might as well make 10.

To do this, you stamp an outline image, such as this one from SU's Embrace Life stamp set, using StazOn ink on acetate. I used a transparency sheet.

Once the ink is dry, turn it over and color in the flowers with a gold Zig Painty pen (also in the SU catalog).

Once that was dry, leaving the image face down, I squirted some Crystal Effects on it and then added a few drops of Real Red reinker and a bit of Dazzling Diamonds glitter. Top that off with some white tissue paper that has been crumpled and them kind of smoothed out again. Let it dry for a few hours. When you turn it over, your image has a lot of dimension and sparkle.

This time, I didn't wear gloves and that was a big MISTAKE! My finger tips were stained red for a couple of days.

Alright, enough rambling for now. Until next time, Happy Stamping!



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Beautiful cards ... I LOVE That first one. :)

mariepassion said...

je ne parle pas anglais mais je peux vous confier que vos carte sont superbes, vous avez un réel talent. un petit sourire de france
marie


http://mariepassion.blogspot.com